Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Pop-Tarts Festival Fun Frosted Vanilla I-Scream Cone


Pop-Tarts has rolled out their Ice Cream Shoppe flavors, if I'm being honest, so far so good!

I'm filled with delight as I pull the pastries out of the wrapper and am greeted with sprinkles on the Pop-Tart's frosting!  Yay!  This vanilla ice cream-flavored treat is topped with chocolate frosting, which is an interesting choice.

The smell of them instantly bring me back to when I was a kid, because these smell just like the Pop-Tarts S'mores flavor, which I ate every morning for years.

On the first taste, it's quite sweet.  I then detect a doughy note, almost like a cake flavor.  I'm not sure why it's there (perhaps to mimic the flavor of the cone?), but it's definitely welcome.  The next flavor is an easy vanilla that borders on a marshmallow-like sweetness, with perhaps even a bit of coconut in there!  Last is chocolate-- this might be the first time I've ever detected the flavor of the frosting on a Pop-Tart.  It works amazingly well.  Everything works together here.

When toasted, I find that this product doesn't taste quite as good.  The flavor is deadened a bit, and I daresay that the texture is less satisfyingly chewy.

However, notice that the front of this Pop-Tarts' box says loudly "TRY 'EM FROZEN".  Well ok, then!  I put one in the freezer and came back to it the next morning.  While I see what they're doing there with the frozen "ice cream" motif, I think the strategy is misplaced.  The texture took on a even-more-pleasant chewiness, but the flavor of the pastry was almost undetectable, and the frozen frosting snapped unsettlingly when bitten.  No thanks.

In all, the snack was best at room temperature, but make no mistake, this is one of the best Pop-Tarts flavors I've ever had.


Pop-Tarts Festival Fun Frosted Vanilla I-Scream Cone: (Great)
Original Pop-Tarts(Strawberry, for comparison): (Good)

Acquired: supermarket

No comments:

Post a Comment