Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Lay's Classic BLT



 Note: This is Presumptive Ephemeral Nom.

Lay's has recently come out with a line of new flavors (which I don't think will last), among them is Classic BLT.  As we know, BLT stands for the bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwich.

I set my hopes too high.  In practice, these chips taste like a vague combination of the Lay's Sour Cream and Cheddar chips along with a hefty shake of bacon flavor.  Despite the fact that the ingredients list has tomato and lettuce flavors in it, they're barely detectable.  I imagine that their "sour cream" powder/flavor might be in there because of how BLTs are often served with mayonnaise.

I'll tell you why this is not ok.

I'm finally given a chance to rave about what perhaps might be in my top 3 favorite ephemeral noms of all time: Doritos(a Lay's company) Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger, released around 2010.  The complexity of this snack rivaled single malt Scotch.  With a single bite, I could taste beef(smoky and char-grilled), mustard, lettuce, cheese, onions, and more.  It was like a symphony of flavors, and all given to me via a snack chip.  If Doritos can nail a fresh lettuce flavor among myriad other stronger ones, then why can't Lay's?

Speaking of Lay's, I've had the pleasure to try their Lays Ketchup chips, which are shining example of a nice spicy tomato flavor note.  And yet they can't relay a bit of that into their Classic BLT?  Why do their Classic BLT chips only taste like bacon?

We here at Ephemeral Noms not only judge a product on its objective flavor, but also on how accurately it achieves to be what it purports.  These chips are quite good, though they do not taste anything like a BLT.  If they had boasted to be "Loaded Potato Skins" chips, they may have gotten a higher rating.


Lays Classic BLT: (Good)

Lays Classic(for comparison): (Good)

Acquired: supermarket

No comments:

Post a Comment